Distinguished Lecturer Program
Mission: To serve the needs of the members of the Broadcast Technology Society to enhance their professional knowledge and vitality by keeping them informed of the latest research results and their practical applications. The BTS Distinguished Lecturer Program exists for the purpose of providing BTS chapters with a list of quality lecturers who can potentially give talks at local chapter meetings, as well as funding to support the travel expenses of the lecturer. The program provides a means for chapters to have access to individuals who are well known educators and authors in the fields of broadcast technology to lecture at chapter meetings.
This program is not intended to provide speakers for BTS conferences, regional conventions, university seminars, or trade shows. Scheduling and minimum audience sizes are at the discretion of the lecturer.
Strategy: The society will select the distinguished lecturers in various areas of BTS that have information on the latest research, and provide the means to travel to destinations to present the topic of interest.
The Distinguished Lecturer Program is Open to IEEE Broadcast Technology Society Chapters only.
To Request a BTS Distinguished Lecturer, the Chapter and DL should:
- Based on the interests of its membership (e.g., a benefiting organization in the region covered by the chapter), the chapter chair approves a topic and a lecturer. A representative of the benefiting organization and/or the chapter chair shall contact the lecturer directly and work out preliminary details of the visit (chapter event, date, location, name and affiliation of the benefiting organization, lecture topic, expected number of attendees, etc.).
- After the date is set, the chapter and distinguished lecturer should contact the DL chair and the BTS executive office to advise them of the lecture.
- The chapter and lecturer should discuss if any funding is necessary to perform the lecture prior to the visit (see funding guidelines below).
- Complete and return the DL Application Form to the BTS executive office.
- No honorarium will be paid to the Distinguished Lecturer Program speakers.
- Each distinguished lecturer may present a maximum of three DLP talks each year.
- Each IEEE-BT Society chapter will be allowed a maximum of two distinguished lecturer visits per year, to be reimbursed by BTS. Expenses for any additional lectures should be paid by the local chapter organizing the event.
- BT Society will reimburse a distinguished lecturer's travel expenses for approved speaking engagements up to $1,250 per domestic engagement and up to $2,500 per engagement for presentations to BTS chapters on a continent other than the speaker's home continent.
- A limited amount of funding is available, so please get your requests in early.
To Request funding, the chapter and distinguished lecturer should:
- secure funding approval prior to the lecture.
- Partial funding of the DL visit (ie: local arrangements) is encouraged, but not required of the requesting chapter.
- An itemized listing of expenses to be covered should be sent, along with the DL Program application.
- Approval of any DL expenses that the chapter cannot cover must be obtained from the BTS DL Chair, Rich Chernock
- The event must be announced as "sponsored by the IEEE Broadcast Technology Society under its Distinguished Lecturer Program", and the lecturer should be mentioned as a BTS Distinguished Lecturer.
- The chapter chair is expected to publicize the event in the Regional and Chapter News Section of the BTS Newsletter and/or by special mailings to all members of the chapter/section.
During the lecture
- The chapter chair should distribute the Audience Evaluation Form and ask that the forms be filled in after the lecture.
After the lecture is over
- The chapter chair should consolidate the evaluation information into the Chapter Chair Evaluation Form and send the results to the BTS DL Chair, Rich Chernock.
- The Distinguished Lecturer should mail a completed IEEE expense report along with original receipts for up to the approved amount to: BTS Technical Community Program Specialist, IEEE BTS Executive Office, 445 Hoes Lane, Piscataway, NJ 08854.
- A check will be cut and sent to the lecturer for reimbursement.
- The chapter chair must send a summary report to the BTS Technical Community Program Specialist, to include information on the date and title of the lecture, event announcement/publicity, attendance, comments on the effectiveness and usefulness of the lecture, etc.
- An article with photos, is strongly suggested, for inclusion in the next BTS Newsletter published after the lecture. All articles should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.