DRAFT IEEE BTS President
The president, under the direction of the BTS Administrative Committee, shall be responsible for general supervision of the affairs of the Society.
This is a two-year commitment and can be followed by a consecutive two-year term.
Primary Staff contact - Society Operations Manager - firstname.lastname@example.org
The functions, duties, responsibilities and qualifications of the IEEE BTS ’s President are as follows:
The functions of the IEEE BTS President shall be to:
- Serve as the chief elected officer of the IEEE Broadcast Technology Society.
- Represent the entire membership.
- Provide leadership and direction for officers and society programs.
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of the IEEE BTS President shall be to:
- Serve as chair of the Administrative Committee and Executive Committee.
- Set and direct achievement of overall BTS objectives.
- Appoint Ad-Hoc committee chairs, standing committee chairs and other officers and representatives.
- Preside over board and committee meetings to ensure achievement of objectives and attention to major issues and purposes of the Society.
- Represent the Society to external organizations.
- Identify and develop potential future volunteer leaders for the Society.
- Serve as the IEEE BTS’s representative on the IEEE Technical Activities Board (TAB).
- Serve as the official communications link between the Society and TAB Officers, Division Directors, and the Technical Activities Department.
The qualifications for the IEEE Broadcast Technology Society President include the following:
- Must be an IEEE BTS Member.
- Must be able to commit a significant amount of time to the position.
- Must have the support of his/her employer in meeting the obligations of the position.
Desirable Soft Skills
Desirable soft skills for the President include:
- Technical excellence in computing
- Strategic thinking
- Understand the big picture but able to devote attention to details
- Operational decision making
- Solid business acumen
- Drive towards making things happen
- Work with people with different social styles
- Skilled in conflict resolution
- Influence through others
- Work equally well with staff and volunteers
- Able to recruit, mentor, and coach volunteer leaders
- social media involvement
Estimated Time Requirements
The minimum engagement for a President is two days per week on average, in addition to travel and other meetings. The distribution of time is uneven, and can spike depending on activities; at other periods, much less time is required.
- BT Society Board Meetings 1-3 days/3 times per year
- IEEE TAB Meetings 3 days/3 per year
- Attendance at BT Conferences 1-3 days/2-3 per year
- Other travel necessary to further BTS business 1-3 days/ as necessary
- Material Review 4-6 hours/week
(Examples: email, agendas, correspondence, reports, minutes)
- Monthly telecon among BT presidents and
- executive staff Up to 12 (1 hour each)
- AdCom and ExCom telecons Up to 4 per year (1-1.5 hours each)
- IEEE BT, IEEE and other telecon Up to 10 per year, as needed (1-2 hours each)