The BTS conference chair will be an elected Adcom member and will manage the BTS conferences under the direction of the BTS President. The chair will initiate, develop and coordinate the strategic plan, programs and activities in the area of conferences/meetings. He/she will attend at least two BTS AdCom Meetings held each year to report on the progress and status of the same. If the chair is unable to attend they must appoint someone to attend in their place.
Specific responsibilities include coordinating with the conference committee members and BTS staff to define, delegate and monitor conferences -related work and to implement and advertise all programs and activities, as well as work with the BTS President and Vice President to help recruit individuals to fill any open/new conference Committee member positions. Also, the chair will act as the primary BTS ‘volunteer’ contact person for BTS and AdCom members, other society/council volunteers and IEEE staff for requests, questions, issues, etc., concerning conferences.
Primary Staff Contact - Society Operations Manager and Marketing and Promotions Manager - firstname.lastname@example.org
The programs, activities and responsibilities of the Conference Committee include the following:
- Monitoring the status of all BTS supported conferences (both financially sponsored/co-sponsored and technically co-sponsored), including the reporting of various statistics and finances and year-to-year trends
- Recommending (with input from the BTS Technical Committees and BTS Regions/Chapters Committee) the start of new BTS conferences in new or hot areas of technology and/or in a specific geographic area
- Coordinating (with input from the BTS Technical Committees and BTS Regions/Chapters Committee) the review and approval process for all new requests for BTS support of a conferences
- Coordinating (with input from the BTS Technical Committees and BTS Regions/Chapters Committee) the review and approval process for the next occurrence of all conferences currently supported by BTS
- Recommending (with input from the BTS Technical Committees and BTS Regions/Chapters Committee) solutions for dealing with BTS conferences having low attendance and/or poor financial outcomes, etc.
- Initiating or helping the BTS Educational Activities Committee, BTS Regions/Chapters Committee and BTS Technical Committees to initiate workshops or mini-colloquia for new or hot areas of technology
- Managing the reviewing and approval of the budgets and final reports of all BTS financially sponsored/co-sponsored conferences
- Managing the monitoring of the status of all BTS supported conferences throughout their entire life cycle
- Helping to determine the data to be displayed and respective format of the Meetings-related information on the BTS website
- Desired soft skills - social media involvement
Annual Fall Symposium Conference Chair responsibilities
The General Chair is responsible for overseeing and coordinating the whole conference with co chair shadowing to learn for the following year
- Chairs need to Submit Conflict of Interest forms to IEEE Conference Services (will be sent via email from MCE ) http://www.ieee.org/about/corporate/compliance/conflict_of_interest/coiandpob.html
- Chairs will appoint the symposium committee (including technical, paper selection, and sponsorship) as well as session chairs and assign tasks to them.
- The chair will conduct all symposium calls (staff will set up web ex) and supply agenda as well as take notes and send out to committee after the call
- The chairs are responsible for creating the main conference program, ie workshop and tutorial topics, Review and accept/decline papers. Chairs will identify presenters for special sessions and invited papers, keynote and have ready prior to the paper selection meeting
- Chairs will ensure committee members are active in recruiting speakers, sponsors and attendees
- The chairs will establish registration pricing with assistance from staff based on previous years, sponsorship opportunities, etc.
- In coordination with the BTS staff, review all publicity (social media, webpages, fliers, notices, announcements, posters, etc.) and make sure no discrepancies appear.
- Appoint a “host” for the conference to introduce speakers
- Appoint on site greeters for key note speakers
- The chairs should work with the Local Chair to see if they are able to assist with attendance and/or committee duties