Immediate Past President
The functions, duties and responsibilities and qualifications of the IEEE BT Society’s Immediate Past President are as follows:
The functions of the IEEE BT Society Immediate Past President shall be to:
- Provide counsel and assistant to the President, Vice President and other volunteer leaders.
- Provide leadership and direction for officers and society programs.
- Chairs the Nominations and Appointments Committee
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of the IEEE BT Society Immediate Past President shall be to:
- Serve as a member of the Administrative Committee and Executive Committee.
- Provide counsel to the president in making Executive Committee, standing committee and other
- Identify and develop potential future volunteer leaders for the Society.
- When possible, participate as an attendee for all IEEE BTS events.
The qualifications for the IEEE Broadcast Technology Society Immediate Past President include the following:
- Must be an IEEE BTS Member.
- Must be able to commit a significant amount of time to the position.
- Must have the support of his/her employer in meeting the obligations of the position.
Desirable soft skills for the President include:
- Technical excellence in computing
- Strategic thinking
- Understand the big picture but able to devote attention to details
- Operational decision making
- Solid business acumen
- Drive towards making things happen
- Work with people with different social styles
- Skilled in conflict resolution
- Influence through others
- Work equally well with staff and volunteers
- Able to recruit, mentor, and coach volunteer leaders
- social media involvement
Estimated Time Requirements
The minimum engagement for a Immediate Past President an hour or two per week on average, in addition to travel and other meetings. The distribution of time is uneven, and can spike depending on activities; at other periods, much less time is required.
- BT Society Board Meetings 1-3 days/3 times per year
- Attendance at BT Conferences 1-3 days/2-3 per year
- Material Review 4-6 hours/week
(Examples: email, agendas, correspondence, reports, minutes)
- Monthly telecon among BT presidents and executive staff Up to 12 (1 hour each)
- Administrative Committee and ExCom telecons Up to 4 per year (1-1.5 hours each)
- IEEE BT, IEEE and other telecon Up to 10 per year, as needed (1-2 hours each)